fat cat
F125 Shifter Karts
Last Post 23 Sep 2009 06:49 PM by RacerRik. 22 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages

--
28 Jul 2009 06:47 AM

Does anyone run any shifter karts in the F125 class for the St Louis Region?

Can we run them on the courses here? I was thinking about getting a shifter kart and have been reading up on them more lately, and I seen somewhere that it is up to the SSS whether they are allowed to run on the course.

I have been reading more about the class in the SCCA rule book, and I was just wanting to know if anyone had anymore information about running them.

Thanks
    Rich

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Jul 2009 08:28 AM
    Rich, We have not had any F125 carts run for a while but generally we have never had a problem with letting them run at any of our events. Of course my comments are unofficial but I doubt that anyone will say otherwise. We do however make some special grid and run arrangements in order to ensure complete safety for the cart driver since they can be hard to see from a car. Hope to have you come out and play with us.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Jul 2009 09:15 AM

The special grid is only for Fomula Junior karts. The F125's run just like everyone else.

Our courses are very bumpy, especially on the north part of the lot. I would think rib protection would be essential.

--
    28 Jul 2009 06:16 PM
    I may be able to help answer questions. A couple of us race karts in SOLO II events at Boeing. Been doing it for about ten years and it is a blast. Have you driven a shifter kart before? It can be quite a learning curve. I can provide quite a bit of insight into what you would need to do if you want to run competitively in a kart.

--
    29 Jul 2009 05:21 AM

No, I haven't driven a shifter kart before. I had decided that I either have to swap some stuff around on my car to be able to run with the SM cars or take some stuff off to down class. Then decided to get something more dedicated to SOLO instead of my daily driver. I was watching some of the karts run on the July 4th event and started reading more and more into them and decided I wanted to give that a try.

I was thinking about trying to find an older kart for the first season, something a little more worn out that I can work on over the winter for next season and then start advancing the kart more when seat time improves.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Jul 2009 06:41 AM
    There weren't any karts at the July 4th event. I think you may be referring to the FSAE car.

--
    29 Jul 2009 06:53 AM
    One of the Boeing guys has an older shifter kart with a 97 Honda CR125 6Speed motor (which happens to be the sanctioned kart motor if you ever wanted to go kart racing). The kart is in pretty decent shape but it could use some fixer up type work. He has a newer kart now and I am sure he would be willing to let the older kart go for a reasonable price. PM me if you are interested and I can give you more details and his contact information.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Jul 2009 07:33 AM

The St. Louis Karting Association, formerly the St. Louis Go-Kart Club, takes pride in it's long history of sanctioning Go-Kart races in the St. Louis metropolitan area. Founded in 1960, the St. Louis Go-Kart Club sanctioned races at several local asphalt kart tracks. In 1975 the last local track was closed to competition kart use and the club lay dormant for the next six years. In the early 1980"s, the club was revived and renamed the St. Louis Karting Association.

While the club searched for a permanent home track, racing was resumed on local dirt tracks. In 1988 the club was granted a lease on an abandoned kart track owned by the St. Louis County Parks Department, undertaking the task of rebuilding the track after 15 years of neglect. Through the donations of SLKA members and local businesses, the Widman County Park has been transformed into one of the county's finest kart tracks.

In 2001, the SLKA started construction on a new track at the Pevely I-55 Complex. The track was completed in June of 2002. This new track is a state of art facility that provides a challenging but safe environment. It will know doubt provide years of enjoyment for the club.

There is an event this weekend August 1 & 2, 2009

Here is their website

http://www.slka.net/Default.aspx?PageKey=3

Contact Information

Telephone
    314-438-6490
    Electronic mail
    General Information: kart32@malagant.com

DIRECTIONS: The SLKA track is located 30 minutes south of downtown St. Louis on Interstate 55 at Pevely exits 180 & 178. When coming from the north, take I-55 to Missouri Hwy Z (exit #180), then go east on Hwy Z to US Hwy 61/67, then go south on US Hwy 61/67 two miles to Herky-Horine Rd., then go 1 mile west on Herky-Horine Rd to the track. When coming from the south, take exit #178 and go EAST to the second traffic light which is Hwy 61/67. Turn north on Hwy 61/67 and go approximately 1 mile and turn left on Herky-Horine Road. Proceed down Herky-Horine Road for approximately 1 mile till you reach the track

--
    29 Jul 2009 07:38 AM

Lynn wrote:
    There weren't any karts at the July 4th event. I think you may be referring to the FSAE car.

Sorry, yeah I was referring to the FSAE cars. That is what got me looking more into them and seeing the class for the shifter karts etc.

--
    29 Jul 2009 09:28 AM

I have raced at the Widman track before and a few close calls there were the reason to take the shifter kart into SOLO 2 competition. Karting is reasonably safe, but there are significant risks when racing wheel to wheel with other drivers. SOLO 2 pretty much takes most of the danger out of kart racing.

And for the dollars invested, there is no other vehicle that will give you the speed and thrills that a shifter kart will. Our raw times in the karts are usually 10% or more faster than the fastest cars in a SOLO 2 event. The only thing faster would be a properly setup and driven AMod car. To give you an example, at our last event, Dave Montgomery (who regularly competes and finishes well in the STL-SCCA SOLO 2 events) drove his well setup CRX for a fastest car time of the day of 57.xxx seconds. In the shifter kart I ran a 52.xxx fastest time of day lap.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Jul 2009 03:34 AM

I agree there are some good reasons to race a kart in Solo rather than wheel to wheel, but I was thinking that that group would know who has what karts and parts for sale for you.

Good luck with it.

Also, Andy Whittle has a kart, he and his son have not been out lately but you can contact him at awhittle@ncs-stl.com

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Jul 2009 04:27 AM

I'm curious as to what "autocross" events are run at Boeing? RacerRik referred to them as Solo II events, which is, of course, not possible, unless there is an SCCA Region around here I've not heard about.

H's & K's,
    Rick Ruth

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Jul 2009 06:43 AM

They are not SCCA events - they are run by the Boeing Sports Car Club. As I understand it - this club's event are not open to all anymore. (they used to be) but now are open to Boeing employees and their "guests". But, they are a friendly group who will invite interested people.

http://www.stlbscc.org/

sshab@yahoo.com

--
    30 Jul 2009 06:49 AM
    rtp.rick wrote:

I'm curious as to what "autocross" events are run at Boeing? RacerRik referred to them as Solo II events, which is, of course, not possible, unless there is an SCCA Region around here I've not heard about.

H's & K's,
    Rick Ruth

I used the term Solo II since I am addressing SCCA people here. Yes, that is an SCCA term so technically Boeing doesn't run any "SOLO II" events - we run autocross events. I did not mean to ruffle anybodies feathers here.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Jul 2009 07:12 AM

Oh, I guess, I don't feel very "ruffled", just trying find out what's going on.

Thanks, with H's & K's,
    Rick Ruth

--
    30 Jul 2009 10:19 AM

No problem. What is going on is that the Boeing Employees Sports Car Club holds autocross events about once a month on Boeing property. These are not exactly open to the public, but we are allowed to have a certain number of non-Boeing people participate. There are quite a few SCCA folks that have attended our events in the past. The official rule from Boeing is that we are allowed to have no more than one guest (non-Boeing employee) for every two Boeing persons at the event. So, if any SCCA non-Boeing person would like to attend they can let me or Steve Shabansky (the club president) know and we can plan for the expected number of guests. We usually only have 20 to 30 participants so this is no where near the size of an SCCA event. We have three people that regularly run karts, so we get the karts out of the way 1st and then run full sized cars.

Our lot is rather small also, so we have to be creative to keep the courses fun and challenging while maintaining safety standards. Because of this, we have been accused of having confusing course layouts - which I admit is sometimes true. But we always have a great time and we bend over backwards to help newbies get into the sport. Quite often, we introduce people to this form of racing and they end up joining you guys in the SCCA.

I brought this subject up because of the interest in karting for autocross and we have had karts run at every one of our events for more than ten years so I think we have some good experience to share. Both Steve and I are former SCCA members - we used to run with the SIR region many years ago. When that chapter went away, we both agreed to devote our time to the Boeing club. I do plan to get out to at least one of your events this year. I know quite a few SCCA members and I see names of people that I remember from the old SIR days, so it will be good to hook up with old friends.

--
    30 Jul 2009 10:21 AM
    They're good autocross people at Boeing. First car off around 10, home by 2.

--
    30 Jul 2009 11:01 AM

Doctor_Fun wrote:
    They're good autocross people at Boeing. First car off around 10, home by 2.

Thanks!

Just a bit of explaining - yes the McDonnel Douglas club was open to everyone. And when we became Boeing, we tried to keep things the same way but Boeing lawyers got involved. Then the 9-11 attack happened and Boeing slammed the door on us. We were not allowed to have events at all anymore on Boeing property. Steve and I fought for over a year with upper level Boeing people in Seattle and finally we won! Well sort of anyway - we were allowed to keep the club going and to hold events on Boeing property but we had to comply with a bunch of new rules including the 1 guest per 2 employees rule. Anyway, we have not had to tell anyone they could not participate yet. I you want to come and have fun with us just let me or Steve know and we will do whatever we can to accomodate you. Our next scheduled event is Aug 16th. And especially if you are intersted in karts, please come on out and see how we do it.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Jul 2009 12:23 PM

Thanks, RacerRik. August 16th is also the date of the next St. Louis SCCA Regional autocross. Do you have other dates scheduled for Boeing?

Thanks, with H's & K's,
    Rick

--
    30 Jul 2009 12:34 PM
    rtp.rick wrote:

Thanks, RacerRik. August 16th is also the date of the next St. Louis SCCA Regional autocross. Do you have other dates scheduled for Boeing?

Thanks, with H's & K's,
    Rick

Sure, we have events scheduled for Sep 20, Oct 11 and Nov 1.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Winding Road 88X31 saferacer
    Rugged Radio 88 fat cat
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button Race-Technology
    CarboTech 88x31 Button HoosierTire88x31
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button UltraRev 88x31
    Traqmate 88x31 Button RacerPartsWholesale 88X31
    Hyperfuels 88x31 Button Apex Detail Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner